At 02:00 PM 2/21/96 -0500, Raghnall Toma/s O/g O/ Cearbhaill wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Marc Morales wrote:
>

>> >Do you care to give reasons for your argument, Marc? Mark did...
>> >
>> >Raghnall
>> >

>> As a matter of fact, Raghnall, I didn't think I needed reasons to argue that
>> Continental Europe may be as Celtic as The Isles when we consider the Matter
>> of Britain.
>> I may be wrong but I have felt a tendancy on this list to consider Celtic
>> only what came from Ireland, Wales or Scotland. That is not the case even
>> though the most vivid vestiges we have concerning the Celts often come from
>> Ireland.
>> Do you consider my reasons displayed enough, Raghnall?
>> I can develop if you wish.
>> Marc
>>

>So then, "Gaul," after having been conquered, settled and ruled by Romans
>and Franks for centuries, and after the Gaulish language had been long
>extinct, retained enough of its Celtic flavor that anything produced in
>France, even by men  of Germanic origin, should be considered Celtic? Please
>develop this, and tell us
>whether or not you also consider literature from modern "Galatia" to be
>Celtic.
>
>Raghnall

I didn't claim that *anything* produced in France should be considered Celtic.
I only wish that people keep in mind that not only The British Isles can be
considered as Celtic.
Allow me to say that I do think that a Celtic substrat remained in France
even after the Roman Conquest, etc..
But... if you prefer to think that only Ireland, Scotland and Wales are
truly Celtic...well who am I to try and change that.
I only find it sectarian and sad when some of us are involved in Celtic
Unity or Pan-Celtic Gathering.
What is Mark point of view about that?
Marc

                                           Marc Morales