Hi Haines,

A couple of weeks ago you asked about the code for the interactive
directory (white pages) on the web. Since the request, and my offer
was made on AFRIK-IT, this is being posted there too. You will find it
at

http://www.ctr.columbia.edu/~nemo/cgi-bin/whitepages.tar

There are four files in the above archive, which is all you need to
a) enable people to enter themselves in the directory;
b) make the directory searchable by keyword.

You can extract them by typing

tar -xvf whitepages.tar

The stuff will work if your web server has awk (gnu version
preferably), and a C++ compiler, and a friendly sysadmin who will
allow you to run cgi's from the server.

Unfortunately, I had never thought about releasing it, so the code is
not documented at all and quite messy at parts, but if you view the
source of the white pages

http://www.ctr.columbia.edu/~nemo/ESS/directory

you should get an idea of how it works. Good luck! I will be putting
out a much cleaner version, with platform independent scripts only (no
more C++) and some documentation soon.

Regards,

        -nemo-