Dear Lucas,

I apologise for not being clear as well as for misuderstanding you.
I believe in democracy, free market and free competition. I know
it is the only way. It is important that the private sector is allowed
and encouraged. But at the same time governments should take the
responsibility for the welfare of the society.

Only between us -
I don't want to discourage business people like you who would like to
invest in Africa. In fact, I am returning back to Ethiopia to take up
a government job in May 96. I have plans to open my private business there
in the near future. I would certainly cooperate with you if
you want to start your business in Addis Ababa. I will give you my mailing
address at a later time if you want.

Anyway, it is good to be provocative inorder to trigger active discussion!!!

It would be interesting to see how many Africans residing in Africa will
participate in this type of a discussion. Many people out there  have
no confidence in their governments. Becuase they may end up in prison.
The only way to help these guys is not by critising and alignating their
govermnets but by joing the governments and influencing them from within.
That is exactly what I plan to do.

I do apologise if my previous post seemed too negative.

Menghestab Haile

Dr. Menghestab Haile                  WORK TEL 01734 875123 ext 7380
University of Reading                 FAX 01734 352604
Department of Meteorology             email [log in to unmask]
Reading                               HOME TEL (01734) 869671
RG6 2AU
United Kingdom