At 12:08 AM 1/10/96 -0500, Mike O'Connor wrote:
>Can anyone tell me why and how the ligatures "ct" and "st" came about? I've
>read about all the other ligatures but find nothing of these two.
>
>Thanks. Mike

A quick glance through several books did not produce any textual reference
to the ct and st ligatures. But a couple reproductions of pages from Aldus
Manutius' 1495 printing of _De Aetna_ show both of these ligatures (although
the st uses the long s form).

The long s could explain the use of an st ligature, since the s has a
similar overhang to that of the f. But I have no idea about the ct.

Dwight Agner
Dwight Agner / THE PRESS OF THE NIGHTOWL
Athens, Georgia                [log in to unmask]