As annoying as commercial Spams are, it seems to me that they occur
infrequently enough that it's better to leave the system as it is. As
people get used to Internet and the common sense of public discourse, these
kinds of efforts should decrease rather than increase. At least that's how
it's been going during the last year. In the first few months of the year,
inappropriate Spams to different lists came round about once or twice a
month. By the mid-year, I was seeing no more than one every month or two.
This latest was the first I'd seen since the Autumn.

Rather than restrict list discourse and make it impossible for the outside
world to reach us, I think it's far better to improve the Internet
community by directing appropriate comments to Spammers and to their
postmasters.

Every informformation system benefits by leaving flexible edges to the
outside environment. There are a couple of lists to which I belong that
never seem to take off precisely becasue they're moderated to strictly.
There's not enough flex and interaction to let threads emerge naturally --
including the outside inpouts and occasional off-topic divergences that
encourage growth.

Thanks for submitting the issue to a referendum, Peter. I'll vote to leave
things as they are.

Happy New Year.

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Leadership and Strategic Design
Norwegian School of Management
Box 4676 Sofienberg
N-0506 Oslo, Norway