S E A R C H   F O R   C O M P U T E R S  for Computer Literacy Project

                 UPDATE ON CONNECTIVITY IN GHANA:

I.

Gideon Hayford Chonia (University Of Zurich; GhanaNet)[log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask], writes:

A project Ghana SchoolNET has been initiated with the Ghana Education Service.

To have more insight of this project, browse through our WEB:

        http://rzunextbet1.unizh.ch/index.html/

...We are building a computing center at Kokomlemle, where repairs and
courses will be given.

We are networking 50 School together by the end of March 1996 as a pilot
installation to E-mail system only.

Full Internet access will be by the end of the year.....

We are still buying the neccessary networking equipments to connect to NCS
in Ghana.

I just sent 18 SUNSParc 1+ unix computers for our Academic Computing Center.

***********************************

II.

Bill (Wilfred Owen, Jr.)[log in to unmask], observes:

Things are moving fast in Ghana and there could be a 128kps VSAT
uplink in Accra as early as April - funded by the African Internet
Forum (IBRD, UNDP, CIDA, USAID and others): implication: full
connectivity in rural Ghana at subsidized rates - at least where there
is a digital automatic exchange and decent outside plant.  [After 10
days of data transmission here, I am worried about the very slow
transmission rates.  US Embassy asked me to inquire about amplified
drop line to the "info store."(?). Unfortunately, Ghana Telecom here
is just not yet familiar with data transmission.]  So Ghana in June
1996 may be a bit different than Ghana today and computer fever will
be spreading by then.

=================plz cut & help disseminate======================

      COMPUTER LITERACY PROJECT FOR GHANA'S YOUTH & YOUNG ADULTS

         COMPUTER & INTERNET TRAINING WORKSHOPS, OPEN TO ALL

Hello!

....Any help you might be able to offer on behalf of Ghana's Computer
Literacy Project would be very much appreciated!

Beyond the technical aspect of making **Internet Connectivity** more
accessible in Ghana, there is a great need to find used computers/
peripherals/ office equipment (all types, as listed below).

Older models and equipment in need of repair would also be most welcome!

The "Computer & Internet Training Workshops" provide an innovative
approach to addressing problems of enormous consequences in Africa, in areas
ranging from community development to rural health care to wildlife
management to reforestation.

This project has been undertaken by The Voluntary Workcamps Association of
Ghana (VOLU) - a self-help organization with a 40-year record of Herculean
accomplishment at the grassroots level throughout Ghana.  VOLU programs run
the gamut, from building and providing personnel for medical clinics and
schools, to doing wildlife conservation and reforestation.

The Computer Literacy Project is one of VOLU's most ambitious undertakings
ever.

The need for equipment is GREAT....and without it, this very innovative
project will surely be doomed.

Please write or E-Mail to Dr. Osei DARKWA ([log in to unmask]) - the
Computer Literacy Project's Director, on the faculty at the University of
Illinois, Chicago - if more information is needed about this project, about
shipping (i.e., if you are encountering cost problems), or about the
collection effort in the US under sponsorship of Operation Crossroads.

Peace to all for this New Year!

Cecil WASHINGTON
University of California
Former Director, Operation Crossroads Africa, Inc.

Fax/Msg:  (310)632-1582

E-Mail:   [log in to unmask]

E Q U I P M E N T    N E E D E D : XT-compatibles, 286's, 386's and up, lap
tops, desk tops, **Multi-Media systems**, modems, peripherals, monitors,
software, printers, hard drives, other computer-related equipment, as well
as  A P P L E S  and  M A C 'S; general business, home and game software/
CDs; office equipment (fax machines, electric typewriters), etc. - all are
needed.

Equipment in reasonably good condition can definitely be put to immediate
use, but older models and equipment in need of repair, would also be most
WELCOME !!

W H E R E  T O  S E N D  C O N T R I B U T I O N S

HARDWARE\SOFTWARE\SUPPORT FUNDS

If equipment donations cannot be sent directly Accra, Ghana, then please
send equipment to the US collection point, which is the office of Operation
Crossroads Africa, Inc., in New York (address below), this project's US
co-sponsor.  Equipment will be taken to the VOLU office in Accra by
Crossroads volunteers going to Ghana to work.

Francis DONKOR
General Secretary
Voluntary Workcamps Association
  of Ghana (VOLU, an NGO)
PO Box 1540
Accra, Ghana
West Africa

Tel:      233-21-663486
FAX:      233-21-665960
Telex:    3033 VOLU

S H I P P I N G     A S S I S T A N C E

Contact Dr. Osei DARKWA for help with shipping, if necessary
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Office: (312) 996-8508

*******************************

U. S.   C O L L E C T I O N   P O I N T

Please send equipment and/or donations to the US sponsor in New York:

LaVerne BROWN
Director
Operation Crossroads Africa, Inc.
A Private/Non-Profit Organization
** IRS Classification: Non-Profit / 501(C)3 **
Receipts will be issued to tax purposes

475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115-0050

Tel: 212-870-2106
FAX: 212-870-2055

Crossroads volunteers who periodically go to Ghana to work will take the
equipment and donations with them to VOLU in Ghana.

FOR MORE INFORMATION...IF YOU HAVE IDEAS...OR FOR HELP WITH SHIPPING

Contact Dr. Osei Darkwa (Director of VOLU's Computer Literacy Project)

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Office number:     (312) 996-8508.
Home number:       (708) 848-7054

Address:  621 S. Maple