Greetings to everyone,

I would like to apologise for breaking up the line of conversation but I
would like to introduce myself .

My name is Altaf Hussein DOSSA, 23 and currently finishing my "Brevet de
Technicien Superieur en Informatique de Gestion", French equivalence for
Management Information Systems. Wanting to form part of the global
information excahnge, I setup an electronic mail system based on Fidonet
(5:7261/3) about two years ago - actually the only node in Mauritius. In the
meantime, I had the chance to gather some experience on the X.25 network and
quite recently participated in establishing an Internet connection between
Mauritius and Paris for the Francophonie organisation  (l'AUPELF-UREF). The
name of the project was REFER and it involved establishing a TCP/IP link
over a 19.2 kbps X.25 connection and then offering dial-up PPP connections
to various research institutes.

About end of October last, we have been "gifted" with an Internet gateway by
the France Telecom, major partner of our local PTT which is the Mauritius
Telecom. They are running a 64 kpbs X.25 line but planned to push that up to
128 kbps in order to provide a better bandwidth for the whole island. So,
Internet and "information sharing" is quite a new thing overhere but
hopefully it's slowly gathering momentum.

In order to take advantage of that connectivity, I'm in the process of
setting up a Linux box so as to create the first server on the island and
also why not, setup a web page (the MT hasn't yet decided on connection
charges). I am currently involved with a project concerning the
interconnection (email only, at first) of the various islands within the
region (Seychelles, Reunion, Mauritius, Comores and Madagascar) for the
exchange of environmental information. The organisation carrying out this
project is the ENDA - Ocean Indien.

Well, I'm very happy to see that things are being done to improve the
current IT environment within the African continent and surely looking
forward to learn and share information for a positive causse.

Regards

Altaf
Altaf Hussein Dossa
Internet Analyst                      Tel: +(230) 233 5326
183 Morcellement Montreal           Email: [log in to unmask]
Beau Bassin                                [log in to unmask]
Country : Mauritius