I am not a librarian at all, but i think this is a great programme which
should be supported.

I just wish to make a couple of observations regarding this program;

Firstly, I would urge other countries that can come up with the minimum
organizational capacity, to set up similar programs to boost the
quality of information and library scientists.

Secondly, this programme apears to me as if it is geared towards seeking
collaboration only between Kenya and developed countries. Of course if
this is the intended orientation of the program that would be fine. But i
think there is a wealth of experience that African countries can exchange
among themselves, in addition to whatever developed countries have to offer.

African constituencies should also take the initiative and the interest
to fund such exchanges, or at least provide infrastructure or
environments in which such programs can flourish. There are many
technological advancements which have become minimum or state of the art
standards for libraries in developed countries. It is great if we from
developing countries can be exposed to these technologies.

But because it may take a very long time for these advancements to migrate to
our doorsteps we should in the meantime be exchanging knowledge about
what we already have. And by all means look for opportunities to learn
what others are doing in the developed world.

Hewitt Chizyuka (Washington DC)