Carleton Chinner wrote:

>Why is this list so quiet?  With the socio-economic development going
>on in the Southern subcontinent, I would think that a lot more
>activity would be taking place.
>
>Is this perhaps, the problem with Africa?  That we really are too
>apathetic to share common problems and the solutions which are unique
>to our continent?  I thought this was a forum for sharing problems
>particular to the African experience.  Don't tell me we don't have
>any.
>***************************

Carleton

I've been wondering myself why this list is so quiet.  Last May/June there
was a lot of exchange, primarily about foreign aid and the relevance of the
internet to Africans in general.
The moderator of this list is presently in Africa.  If he were home in
Ireland he would be prompting subscribers to contribute.  If I remember
correctly, he'll be home shortly, and he will no doubt send us all a message
in due course.

Another point:  some of us have been on holidays.  I was away 6 weeks, and
when I came back, no one was communicating on this list.

Your comments are provocative, and, hopefully, will prompt some responses.
I am a resident/citizen of Canada, and no expert on African matters.  I have
a keen interest in African affairs, though, and look forward to reading
about concerns/problems/solutions.

I see you're in Zambia.  Can you tell us about the state of computer
technology there?  My perception is that a very few elites (gov't/foreign
aid agencies/universities) have internet access, and that the internet is
only relevant to those few.  Right?

How do you see

(1)  how the introduction of the internet has affected gov't, business,
religion (missions, for example), the ordinary citizen in Zambia
(2)   the future, with respect to widening use of this technology
(3)  the social impact of the technology.

  Is anyone else out there?

Valerie Bruce