Ralph lee writes,

 > I am currently involved in setting up a link with a
 > college in southern Ethiopia, at a town called Arba Minch.
There are a couple of guys linked to the national node from Arba Minch.

 > technology institute is
 > engineering.
The Arba Minch institute was already contacted. A modem was supplied to the
Ethiopian Sceinec and Technolgy Commission to establish a link at the Water
Technolgy Institute. They told me that the Dean of the Institute is not there
at the moment to finalize connections.
 > therefore overseas.  The
 > main problem is that there is a very dodgy 7 km long
 > line from the town to the
 > college.
Our experinece in Ethiopia shows that this may not be a problem. The only
thing needed is a good error correction modems. Zyxel modem would be fine. It
worked here and there where we have doggy telephone lines.

You may wish to look at other options such as radio link (which works well)
between town and the 7 KM at the Institute. I am afraid this is cumbersome
with the PT&T regulating everything. You need to talk to the PT&T (Ethiopian
Telecommunications Authority) before hand. I am definetly sure that the Zyxel
modem (even some good brands) will
do miracles as far as you make a phone call from the Institute. if you can not
make phone calls then you need to work on the Radio option. More current

The Ethiopian Science and Technolgy Commission group will be visiting the
Institute in Spetember and we will see their
findings.

Thanks.

Lishan

Lishan Adam, Coodinator CABECA                          Sysop PADISnet
P.O.Box 3001                                            P.O.Box 5834
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia                                   New York, NY 10163
Tel: +251 1 511167                                      Fax: (212) 963 4957
Fax: +251 1 517200