Dear Clement,

>On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, Adrian wrote:
>

>>In terms of developng the access to continuing education (e.g. via distance
>>education), I am interested in what others think about the potential of
>>developing ecomms against more traditional ways of supporting such learning.
>>As the technologies mature and the price falls it would seem that the cost
>>effectiveness of using ecomms rather than relying on transporting tapes and
>>other materials by more traditional means may become increasingly attractive
>>- as well as opening up the potential for accessing information on a global
>>scale and sharing ideas with other learners at a distance.
>
>My response:
>
>Yes, Adrian, I think the emerging Eletronic Distance Education technologies
>is opening up a window of opportunity for implmenting EDE on a large scale
>in Africa. I made this point (among others) in a paper " Towards Electronic
>Distance Education (EDE)  in Developing Countries: Making the Case for the
>African Region', presented at  a  Conference on TOWARDS GLOBAL ELECTRONIC
>DISTANCE EDUCATION, Academy for Educational Development (AED), Washington,
>D.C. 20037. 10-11 July 1995.
>
>This is a long paper, below is a synopsis of the introductory part which
>made the case for EDE in Africa. The paper also incorporates detail
>proposals of how to proceed. Please post your reactions/views  on the
>general idea of  the 'possibilities and potentials for EDE in Africa' to
>AFRIK-IT.
>
>Best rgds,
>
>Clement
>

>    ============= Synopsis of  the EDE-- Africa Paper =============
>
>Electronic distance education (EDE) has been perceived as a powerful means
>to utilize the emerging telecommunications and electronic messaging
>technologies, for the dissemination of teaching and learning materials and
>information from what could be described as 'education-resource rich' to
>'education-resource poor' environments.  The prediction is that these new
>global electronic technologies may significantly change the way people are
>educated and trained.......

  Thanks for your reply and the extracts from your paper. I find your
arguments persuasive and certainly in line with my thinking.

I would be particularly interested in people's views on the relative merits
of investing in Initial Teacher training in terms of raising awareness of
the potential of, and developing skills in, IT (particularly multimedia and
ecomms), including EDE, in African countries. It seems to me that if it is
not possible to provide access for all students at the moment, it would be a
strategic move to focus on those who are entering the teaching profession
and who might be in a position to help learners take advantage of the
technologies as and when they become available. You have to start somewhere!

Adrian