 Hello,

 It seems the netiquette of AFRIK-IT is to introduce yourself the first
 time you participate.  I think I should do so too.

 I am a graduate student at Michigan State University, Telecommunication
 Dept., Information Technology Service group.  I came from a strictly
 Electrical Engineering with BSEE and MSEE.  I am pretty new to this area,
 and try to learn as much as I could, without too much to contribute yet.

 I once saw a phrase from a text book by Dr. Yarlagadda (OSU, Stillwater),
 it said:"...the most effective tool for world peace and stability is neither
 politics nor armaments, but rather the open and timely exchange of
 information. ..."

 My personal opinion about telecom. in Africa is, wireless technology.
 That includes: Satellite (LEO Personal Communication Network), Wireless
 transmission (Microwave tower for short distance, cellular for urban city...),

 CDPD for wireless LAN....  It may seems extraordinary for undeveloped
 countries to have more advanced technology then developed countries.  Well,
 with the IT revolution, things might just work that way.  With the vast
 desert and lack of existed telecom. system, wireless technology is the most
 "appropriate technology" for deployment.  While the electricity must be
 obtained pretty much thru. solar cells.  In Arizona, there are some wireless
 PBX set up using solar cells.  Solar cells technology is very much available,
 only the economic factors and policy issues need to be worked out.  Which
 UNESCO or World Bank might help a little.

 There's this "knowledge gap" theory existed that argue IT only widen the
 gap between the have and havenot.  But, the rest of the world is having,
 at least the havenot should catch up, tis my very weak argument.  Whereas
 on the other hand, the "gap" is a result of inproper behavior, not a theory
 at all (I hope my professor won't see this).  Knowledge gap?  Then put
 more weight on the havenot.  Well friends, my belief is still very open,
 because I know I am unaware of a lot of complicated variables to be
 considered.  So, I want to "observe" the list for more time.

 Thank you for your attention.

 Hsun-I Hsu