> It would be great to see PCs in wide-spread use througout Africa starting,
> perhaps, at schools.  But what about the practical problem of electricity.  A
> Are we being naive technocrats or is that an overly pessimistic view?
> Alan.

Solar cells are meant to be getting better and cheaper, but the
absence of any great fanfare about them in the media lately
suggests no quantum leaps yet, but this may be a false impression.
Still it would need a big drop in price to make them affordable to
rural schools. Power-hungry monitors would be out for a start.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost of cells, conversion
equipment and other ancillary hardware I haven't thought of?

I'll tryto get some info from a friend in solar cells research.

Ben K

--
Ben Kobus ---------- RESOLUTION AFRICA ------------------------------

             "Resolution is the future." Hos Maina

UK office: 18 Netherhall Gardens London  NW3 5TH
Tel/Modem: +44(0)171-431-0074  Fax: +44(0)171-433-1276

East Africa office: P O Box 68110 Nairobi Kenya  Tel/fax: 254-2-725639

Internet: [log in to unmask]   Compuserve 100135,3545
Telex: 100135,3545 [newline] Compuserve Inc.