On Thursday 29th June, Sunday Wrote:

Dear IT colleagues,

Does anyone know of a successful project that was able to link systems for
mail transfer etc, over CB radio?. Any information on this will be
appreciated.

My intention is to link a couple of computers together to exchange data
packets, over HF radio. HF radio is found in most Nigerian Universities. They
maintain them, even if they cannot pay their phone bills.

I am hopeful that we can find a solution to our own problems. As more
professionals come together to pool resources, we should progress.

-----
My Response:

Sunday, thats a good move. The (Trinity College, Dublin) TRINET project,
which I am involved in is also thinking along the same line. We've been
experimenting with LEO satellite-based systems for a couple of years and
now moving towards developing the concept of configuring a low-cost data
communication system (with Internet-connectivity capabilities) based on a
'basket' of electronic messaging technologies including packet radios.
Surely our target is developing countries, starting with academic and
research intstitutions in Africa.

We are of the view that, with a bit of thought and imagination these
technologies can be interfaced in a seamless way to facilitate electronic
messaging (including e-mail) between nodes directly or indirectly connected
to a low-cost global communications network. The basic concept is that it
is possible to  create common interfaces between the various communication
platforms and technologies to support low-cost electronic messaging even in
situations where the telecommunication infrastructure is either non
existent or rudimentary.

I know, that David Dion of the FAO in Rome, is also thinking along similar
lines. Also in a recent correspondence I recieved from Paul O'Nolan of the
International Service for National Agric Research based in the Netherlands,
indicates that he is also considering something similar for their stations
in Africa. Alan Goozner, of the EPA (USA) in one of his postings to
AFRIK-IT made the point that he is using his computer for packet radio
communications.
By coincidence, (like Sunday),  David, Paul and Alan are members of ANITEP
and subscribers to AFRIK-IT. So Sunday, you are in good company. I am sure
there are others out there who may know about other low-cost data comms.
initiatives which may or may not involve the use of packet radios.

Best rdgs.

Clement