Hello All

I joined this mailing list because I am involved with IT and I am in
Africa. I see that some people use this forum as a platform for polemics
about "who is an african" and that sort of stuff.

Hopefully this will be the last time that I make any statement concerning
such matters on this list:

I regard myself as African. I was born here. I have no concept of "home"
being overseas somewhere. Please don't make generalisations about people
like "white english south africans" and I shall refrain from making
arrogant generalisations about "third world groupies from canada trying
to score brownie points with the oppressed masses" or any thing of that
nature.

Enough bullshit.

Let's talk about some of the real issues facing computer people in Africa.
I should like to raise a few issues:

     High import duties on computer equipment
     Undeveloped communications infrastructures
     Limited resources/old but functional equipment

Many people in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mocambique, etc., are quite
happy to be able to use a PC/XT with DOS 2.1 if it will do the job
at hand. Many people use 286 and 386SX systems quite happily.
2400 baud modems are still very much in evidence and so on.

Why do governments in Africa make it prohibitively expensive to
import computer equipment, and then whine about a lack of skills
and resources in those areas?

Sorry for the disjointed ranting nature of this posting.

regards
Duncan Anderson           Tel:   +27 11 233-6233       Private Bag
UNIX Support              Fax:   +27 11 233-6232       Wendywood 2144
SDD (Pty) Ltd.                                         South Africa
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]    WWW: http://www.sdd.com
FTP:    ftp.sdd.com       BBS:   +27 11 233-6533