Dear IT colleagues,

Lately the discussion seems to drift towards why Africa despite its
massive resources is the poorest continent. Some blame the rich countries
for exploiting Africa.  To great extent, I think WE AFRICANS, should blame our selves. Just look how many dictators there have been in Africa as heads of statesin the last few years.

Some blame colonization. I think USA was once a British colony and on the other hand Ethiopia was never colonized. Ethiopia, with its huge natural resources, has stunned the world with a devastating famine of 1984-85. That famine could have been avoided if the there was a sensible government at that time.

As Dawit mentioned

> That was why the drafters of the Ethiopian Constitution
> proceeded to create ,anew,the necessary viable nation-state
> out of the post-colonial state. Would this experience be
> relevant for the rest of Africa ?

With the right type of government, I think any country could prosper. Look at
the difference between North Korea and South Korea,  Hongkong and China.

As IT professionals let us keep up the discussion on IT related activities.

Dr. Menghestab Haile                  TEL 01734 875123 ext 7380
University of Reading                 FAX 01734 352604
Department of Meteorology             email [log in to unmask]
Reading
RG6 2AU
United Kingdom