On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, Justin Chisenga wrote:

> On the discussion regarding African, I would like to ask the following
> question:
>
>     Who is an African?

A very good question that requires some soul searching.  Only people born
in Africa?

I turn to thinking "who is a Canadian?"   Certainly people born in
Canada.  Those who immigrate here and eventually become Canadian citizens
I think of as "new Canadians from ______" - not really Canadians because
they are of a different culture.  The basic assumption here is that there
is such a thing as "Canadian culture", though I must say it's difficult
to define.  Ten different people would give ten different definitions.

Re Africa - it's certainly more than skin color that defines "African".
I think of the Boers as Africans. Africa consists of various different
cultures, but I think of them as being somewhat similar, except for that
of the Africaan.  But, as I said, I don't seem to apply the same logic
when I think of what constitutes a Canadian.  I'm thinking as I write
here, and, as you can see, I'm confused.

Thoughts from other people?

Valerie