On Jun 15 15:29,  [log in to unmask] wrote:
 > My name is Derrick Lumumba and I am a Cameroonian living in
 > Los Angeles, California and your posting caught my attention.
 > My areas of expertise are Macintosh and PC communications,
 > Graphic Design & Publishing, Electronic Prepress, Multimedia
 > educational and entertainment programming.

 > I am aware that there's a current change taking place here in
 > the US with fiber optics networks replacing existing data
 > transmission systems. I would like to know what you think
 > about upgrading African telecommunications using older but
 > fully electrical (electronic? I'm not sure which) equipment
 > that is being replaced here. I'm sure AT&T for example  would
 > have some of this kind of equipment stored and unused that
 > they could either sell at low prices or would donate them to
 > us and get a tax deduction for it. They also provide
 > installation and maintainance training.

 > Is this a simplistic idea on my part, or could I possibly be
 > of more help in pursuing this matter?
    Sorry about the late response, but I was out of Luanda for some days and I
did not have telephone communication at all where I was.
    I really belive that your idea is very good, however there is an important
point that I would like to be clear. Are they only replacing the data
transmition part of PBX's or the whole telephone system including the
telephone switching part?
    If you can get some more information about that it would be great.
    If AT & T has really some of this equiment stored and could donnate to the
African Countries, then we must coordinate how this could be donne. I think
the donnor or other entity should follow the process to ensure that the
equipment is really installed and working properly and not thrown away waiting
for instalation engineers or so.

    Best,

    Paulo