My name is Una Murray, I am a post graduate student in Development
Studies at UEA in Norfolk, England.  I have been in touch with some
people on this list already, so I apologise for any cross-postings. I have
a degree in Education (1987)  and also am a graduate of the Irish
Marketing Institute,  I have worked in the past as a teacher, for a
computer training company, in marketing research, and with a
development education NGO.

The arguments on this list are intriguing for me, because at the moment I
am doing my masters dissertation on IT policy for developing
countries through aid organisations - I was hoping to concentrate on
Irish bi-lateral aid programmes.

I am attempting to address such questions as:

The major problems that are associated with inappropriate IT transfer
and whether these can be mitigated in any way by having IT policies
or guidelines?

Whether there a need for formal IT transfer policy for aid programmes
to developing countries or is it sufficient to integrate such policy
under an overall technology transfer policy? How can IT be
integrated into the recipient countries policies?

Which multilateral development organisations have specific information
technology transfer policies? How are these developed? Who is
involved in making technology transfer policy? (donor, recipient,
technologist, private sector).
______________________________

I have found all the discussions on the list most interesting and useful
particularly comments about the inappropriate introduction of IT;  the
introduction of IT in the public sector in Africa as being aid driven; aid
tied to projects undertaken by the donors leading to dependency on
donors; problems with and for funders, and problems of co-ordination.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone on this list who wants to
contact me about these issues, particularly from the point of view of
international aid organisations.

Una Murray Post Graduate
School of Development Studies
University of East Anglia