>I am a high school student in the state of Washington (USA). Our teacher
>has challenged us to find someone to communicate with in Mali.
>Miel Franco c/o

Well, Miel, congratulations on finding this mailing list!  How did you find
us? I can't give you the fish you ask for but I'll try to tell you a little
bit about fishing in the Internet.

How would you do it if the teacher asked you to find a penpal in Mali? Or to
telephone someone? (ignoring cost for the moment). You'd look up embassy or
tourist information or international telephone directories.  Well, why not
start with the Internet directories?

You might look up "The Whole Internet" (Ed Krol) and find that the domain
for Mali is .ml and they have limited uucp connectivity. You can also read
about the KIS and WAIS services, and if you have Web access, you could try
the LYCOS or WWWW search engines. I've done a quick look but found nothing
apart from a reference to Portland, Oregon - is there a town called Mali
there? I pay for my Internet access, so I can't spend much time looking - as
a atudent you probably have free access, so get Krol's book and read
chapters 10 and 12.

This is just a starter - there's a lot of stuff out there (or in here
depending on your point of view).

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick O'Beirne B.Sc. M.A. MICS, Systems Consultant, Author, Lecturer
Trainer and Developer in Clipper       TickIT trained ISO 9000 Auditor
Compuserve: 100023,1304  WWWeb: http://www.iol.ie/~pobeirne/index.html