     Mention was made of removing howling dogs from sessions.  So forgive
me, but I have to relate this true story.  I met a fellow in line in a
grocery store, began talking -- it seems he fooled around a bit on a
concertina & I asked him over for some weekend kitchen playing with friends.
He was rather a rough character, a coal miner, tatoos on his arms, a huge
handlebar mustache, etc, but interesting.  He showed up with the concertina,
a bottle of scotch and some Highland pipes.  (Naturally he called them
warpipes.)  In time he stood up, tuned up, began to play.  I had a tape in
and lunged for the deck because the LED lights were blowing off the board,
but then I noticed my little runt sheltie dog.  She stared at this apparent
monstrosity for a full second, ears up, then looked at me with awe, and,
apparently decided that since I wasn't going to do anything about this
outrage, she'd have to assume responsibility.  She shot across the room
and latched onto his foot, doing her best to savage the monster.  He didn't
miss a beat, just kept playing, blissfully, eyes closed, tapping his foot --
the dog with it, then finally began to march around in a circle. Ultimately
I managed to collect my wits and peel the dog off of him, and when his song
was done of course I began to apologize profusely.  "She never bit a soul
before, believe me!" and so on.  "Oh," he replied at last, pouring himself
a shot, "is THAT what that was?  A dog?  Well, I've been attacked by worse
things than dogs for playing the pipes."  He said he was going to give
the tune a new name: "Molly bit the piper."  The dog I locked in the
bathroom while he did more tunes and later found that she'd taken out her
ire and frustration by ripping up towels.  R.C. Hamilton in Derry (PA)