> In it is listed the performance "Masters of the Folk Violin."
> I'm trying to decide whether to go or not, so I'd like some
> opinions about the performers.  They are: Michael Doucet (fiddler
> and lead vocalist for Beausoliel), Brendan Mulvihill, Claude
> Williams, Kenny Baker, and Natalie MacMaster.  They list Natalie
> MacMaster as "Great Britain's star fiddler."  Are there two
> Natalie MacMasters?  The one I'm familiar with (and whose music I
> much enjoy) is from Cape Breton NS.
>
> My musical tastes are in Irish/Celtic music (Altan, Battlefield
> Band, Capercaille, Planxty, Silly Wizard, De Danann, etc.) as
> well as some bluegrass and old-time.  Based on this, could you
> give me your opinion as to whether I'd enjoy the performers
> listed above for the "Masters of the Folk Violin?"

They're all fine players.  Kenny Baker is generally regarded as the best
Bluegrass fiddler of his generation; he's well-grounded in old-time
traditions of Kentucky, in addition to having played a lot of swing.
Claude Williams is a jazz fiddler; of the bunch he's my least
favorite--and certainly the furthest from your usual tastes.  Michael
Doucet can get fairly wild with Beausoleil.  I'd not cared much for his
playing until I heard him in a dance we produced here at MTSU last
November that featured Michael playing traditional Cajun stuff with Marc
& Ann Savoy--his playing that night was absolutely stunning!  He just
tore the place up.   The Great Britain/Cape Breton mixup sounds to me
like some copy writer didn't know where Cape Breton was and wrote what
they thought they think they might have heard (!?).

Hmm, I didn't know that there was another "....Folk Violin" tour in the
offing.  Thanks for the tip.

Paul Wells