> Dan Mozell request:
>
> I know that people frequently request information about musical
> events, clubs, etc. I've only recently rejoined IRTRAD-L, so I
> apologize if this is a repeat question.  My parents are going to
> Ireland and would like to know dates and locations of any
> traditional music and dance that fits their schedule; Pubs,
> festivals, anything at all. Here's where they'll be:
>
> June 23:            Limerick
> June 24-25:         Lisdoonvarna, County Clare
> June 26-27:         Bundoran, Co. Donegal
> June 28-29:         Dublin
> June 30-July 1:     Waterford
> July 2-3:           Cork
> July 4-5:           Killarney, County Kerry
> July 6:             Limerick
>
> By the way, when and where is the Carolan festival?
> Thanks alot for any help!

interested can contact Liam Ferrie at <[log in to unmask]>

                                                        Seamus
                                                         Keleher
Subject: Calendar of Summer Events in Ireland
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 12:23:41 +0100 (BST)
From: Liam Ferrie <[log in to unmask]>

A number of readers requested that rather than give details of
which festivals are taking place each week that I provide the
information in advance so that they will know what to expect when
they are here on holiday.  The attached, then, is a list of the
more important festivals and summer schools scheduled for the
next few months.

JUNE:

11th-12th  ULSTER'S SIXTH STORYTELLING FESTIVAL, CULTRA, CO.DOWN.
           Storytelling for adults and children, also music and
           drama.

8th-19th   THE MUSIC FESTIVAL IN GREAT IRISH HOUSES.
           Major Irish and international classical musicians and
           singers in some of the most splendid Irish houses,
           including Castletown, Strokestown, Carton and
           Russborough.

11th-19th  AN TOSTAL, DRUMSHANBO, CO.LEITRIM.
           This is the only continuous celebration of this
           festival in the country and features feiseanna,
           traditional bands, set dancing workshops and art
           competitions for children.

17th-19th  FLEADH AMHRAN AGUS RINCE, BALLYCASTLE, CO.ANTRIM.
           Traditional music, song and dance culminating in a
           "Concert of Champions".

18th-29th  ACHILL ARCHAEOLOGICAL SUMMER SCHOOL, DOOAGH, ACHILL,
           CO.MAYO.
           Excavations, field trips and lectures.

25th-JULY 2nd  SYNGE SUMMER SCHOOL, RATHDRUM, CO.WICKLOW.
           "Irish Theatre and Cinema" is the theme this year,
           with readings, theatre workshops, lectures and live
           performances.

29th-JULY 3rd  GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL,
           MONASTEREVIN, CO.KILDARE.
           On the 150th anniversary of the poet's birth the
           programme includes guest speakers and performers from
           Sweden, Russia and the US.

30th-JULY 2nd  JONATHAN SWIFT SEMINAR, ST. PATRICK'S COLLEGE,
           MAYNOOTH, CO.KILDARE.
           "The Legacy of Swift" will be examined by, among
           others, John Banville, Mary McGuckian and Professor
           Terence Brown.

30th-JULY 3rd  THE BRAM STOKER INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL,
           CLONTARF, CO.DUBLIN.
           The influences on Dracula, both literary and Irish,
           are included in this year's theme "Gothic
           Reflections".

JULY:

10th-17th  KILTARTAN HEDGE SCHOOL, GORT, CO.GALWAY.
           Of a different style, this school concentrates on the
           works of Yeats and Lady Gregory in their natural
           settings of Thoor Ballylee and Coole Park.

13th-24th  GALWAY ARTS FESTIVAL.
           This has the usual line-up of unusual and exotic acts
           from abroad and the famous Macnas group's annual
           parade is this year entitled "Tribes".

13th-18th  GALWAY FILM FLEADH.
           The fleadh runs a series of films (last year over 100)
           at various venues around the city and is usually
           attended by one or two famous "names".

14th-17th  FESTIVAL FRANCAIS DE PORTARLINGTON, CO.LAOIS.
           Art workshops, French and Cajun music and dance in a
           celebration of the Huguenot influence on the town.

           INTERNATIONAL BUSKING FESTIVAL, DERRY.
           The prize fund of Stg 2#3,000 attracts contestants both
           national and international.

17th-29th  JAMES JOYCE SUMMER SCHOOL, NEWMAN HOUSE, ST STEPHEN'S
           GREEN, DUBLIN 2.
           The usual run of lectures is interspersed with outings
           around Dublin, including the pubs, and a coach tour to
           the Boyne Valley.

21st-24th  DUN LAOGHAIRE FESTIVAL.
           Features arts and entertainment for adults and
           children, including a song contest.

22nd-24th  TEMPLE BAR BLUES FESTIVAL.
           Free live music in 18 pubs and locations in the area
           with a free open-air concert in College Green.

23rd-24th  ULSTER FLEADH CHEOIL, ARMAGH.
           Competition for traditional musicians with the usual
           sessions inside and outside bars.

25th-30th  JOHN HEWITT INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL, CARNLOUGH,
           CO.ANTRIM.
           This year's school focuses on the literature, culture
           and politics of the city in general, and the Northern
           Irish city in particular.  Music and excursions will
           also be included.

25th-AUG 6th   BOYLE ARTS FESTIVAL, CO.ROSCOMMON.
           This major arts festival includes poetry readings,
           classical music and operatic recitals, traditional
           music and a literary exhibition.

29th-31st  ATHY BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL, ATHY, CO.KILDARE.
           Bluegrass bands from Ireland, Europe and the US.

29th-AUG 1st   BALLYSHANNON INTERNATIONAL FOLK FESTIVAL,
           CO.DONEGAL.
           Top traditional and folk banks take over the town for
           the weekend.

29th-AUG 7th   O'CAROLAN TRADITIONAL IRISH HARP MUSIC FESTIVAL,
           KEADUE, CO.ROSCOMMON.
           Harp recitals and competitions with peripheral dancing
           activities.

30th-31st  FEILE '94, SEMPLE STADIUM, THURLES, CO.TIPPERARY.
           Probably the last, (though I seem to remember the same
           being said last year), this year's line-up includes
           The Cranberries, Elvis Costelloe and the Attractions,
           Crash Test Dummies, Primal Scream and The Stunning.

AUGUST:

2nd-11th   KERRY INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL OF LIVING IRISH
           AUTHORS, TRALEE.
           As the title suggests, this school concentrates on
           those writers who are still with us, and further
           enlivens the proceedings with excursions.

5th-7th    LETTERKENNY INTERNATIONAL FOLK FESTIVAL, CO.DONEGAL.
           Macnas will also be featured in this festival, which
           includes singers and dancers from Ireland, the UK and
           Europe.

           TRADITIONAL MUSIC WEEKEND FESTIVAL, FEAKLE, CO.CLARE.
           The town is completely taken over each year by the
           musicians who include, this year, Liam O'Flynn, Noel
           Hill and singer Sean Tyrell.

6th-20th   YEATS INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL, SLIGO.
           This year is its 35th and the topics to be covered
           include "Yeats, Eliot and the Mythical Method", "The
           (Other) View from the Tower: George Yeats" and "Yeats
           and Beckett".

8th-14th   WILLIAM CARLETON SUMMER SCHOOL, CLOGHER, CO.TYRONE.
           The theme for this year, the bicentenary of Carleton's
           birth, is "William Carleton and the Irish Literary
           Tradition".

           BELFAST FOLK FESTIVAL.
           Over 50 events are promised, mostly held in pubs, with
           a line-up including artists from Australia, Russia,
           Bolivia and the US.

9th-14th   BELFAST HARP FESTIVAL, ULSTER FOLK & TRANSPORT MUSEUM,
           BELFAST.
           Workshops, lectures and performances focused on
           teaching the harp.

10th-12th  PUCK FAIR, KILLORGLIN, CO.KERRY.
           Apart from the ritual crowning of the goat,
           participants will be entertained by traditional and
           other musicians and a busking competition.

11th-20th  COOTEHILL ARTS FESTIVAL, CO.CAVAN.
           Various bands, and a street parade are among the items
           listed so far for this festival.

14th-19th  THE PATRICK MACGILL INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL,
           GLENTIES, CO.DONEGAL.
           The author's daughters, both writers, will be in
           attendance this year, and events include several art
           exhibitions.

14th-21st  PARNELL SUMMER SCHOOL, AVONDALE, CO.WICKLOW.
           "Gender, Class and Politics" will be discussed by John
           Hume, Gemma Hussey, Emily O'Reilly, Bernadette
           McAliskey, Brian Lenihan and several more.  There will
           also be a Percy French evening.

18th-21st  THE GENERAL HUMBERT SUMMER SCHOOL, BALLINA AND
           KILLALA, CO.MAYO.
           Political, economic and cultural topics will be
           discussed by speakers from the US and Europe under the
           title "Bridging the Atlantic".

20th-27th  MERRIMAN SUMMER SCHOOL, BALLYVAUGHAN, CO.CLARE.
           The examination of rural Ireland is the topic for this
           year, in conjunction with the usual activities, from
           set-dancing to Irish classes.

20th-28th  KILKENNY ARTS WEEK.
           A concentration on classical music is the hallmark of
           this event, though it also includes theatre and
           readings.

26th-28th  FLEADH CHEOIL NA H-EIREANN, CLONMEL, CO.TIPPERARY.
           The culmination of the county and regional
           competitions, the fleadh also includes many impromptu
           sessions in pubs or on the street (weather
           permitting).

SEPTEMBER:

2nd-4th    CLIFDEN COUNTRY BLUES FESTIVAL, CLIFDEN, CO.GALWAY.
           Previous visitors to this festival have included Van
           Morrison and Eric Clapton, the latter actually joining
           in one of the sessions.

9th-11th   CORK FOLK FESTIVAL, CORK CITY.
           Events both large and small will be augmented this
           year by a special Sean O'Riada commemorative concert.

14th-18th  OSCAR WILDE SUMMER SCHOOL, BRAY, CO.WICKLOW.
           In its inaugural year the event will include lectures,
           workshops, tours, theatre outings and social events.