In Message Wed, 8 Jun 1994 14:29:00 EDT,
  Seamus Keleher <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Seems to me that "Banish Misfortune" might have been on a Chieftains
> recording..  anyone else have a clue?
>                                             Seamus

Well, I can tell you that it's on Chieftains 2, and on a tape of a tape of
a. . . that I have of some unknown tin-whistle tutor.   _The Fiddler's
Fakebook_ says it's on _A Point of Departure_ bye How to Change a Flat Tire
(Front Hall 09) and on _Three Forks of Cheat_ by Trapezoid (Rounder 0113).

It's also printed in Miles Krassen's revision of _O'Neill's Music of
Ireland_ and in the reprint of the original of same from Rock Chapel Press.

The version printed in the original O'Neill's is different than the
modern versions.  Quite recognizable, but the opening of the tune and the
transitions between the three parts are very different.  O'Neill credits his
version to "Cronin" and gives the Gaelic title as (here's risking a
wild-guess transcription) "dibir an mio-ad".

As I recall, we play it kinda fast at our session, but I think it goes much
better played slowly, say around dotted-quarter = 84 bpm.  Do I smell its
origins in an air or song?  I've heard that many reels and jigs come down to
us as speeded-up airs or songs.
                              Alan Ng                Fax:(608)255-0650
Internet:[log in to unmask]                 Bitnet:alanng@wiscmac2