>I admit I haven't tried DVI2WIN on any other machines, but on my 486/33
>is about the same as my regular Word for Windows print jobs (seminar papers,
>quizzes for my students, etc.)  Maybe 10 seconds per page of computing time.
>Oh, and I only have 8 MB of RAM, a small 128K cache, and a sloooow, 80M hard
>drive.  My printer isn't anything special, either: a 360 dpi bubble jet
>(Canon BJ-200).  No video accelerator or VESA, either.

OK. I accept that your machine prints that fast. However, I print to a
PostScript printer, and printing full-page bitmaps to a PostScript
printer is slow and memory-consuming. I'm also on a network, so the entire
document is spooled to the print-spooler before sending to the printer.
I started to print a 30-page document, and after 8 pages I got messages
telling me that print manager had run out of memory - I checked the queue
and there was 9 MB of memory used for 8 pages of ordinary text. Of course,
I could print it page-by-page.

The help file for DVI2WIN actually states that the "method is optimal
for dot-matrix and inkjet printers or fax drivers" (is a bubble jet
more or less an inkjet?) and that "if you use a PostScript printer
and are not satisfied with this approach, you can attach a dedicated dvi
driver for printing as outlined in the previous section."

Let me firstly apologise for generalising on two counts: that you need
TeX installed to use a DVI driver, and that DVI2WIN prints slowly and
uses lots of memory. Let me modify what I said:

1) You _do_ need to have (some) pk files to use any DVI driver.

2) Printing from DVI2WIN to a PostScript printer (on a machine with
   4 MB RAM and a 6 MB swap file) caused me problems; I accept that this
   may be entirely due to my machine setup - however I can't afford more
   than 6 MB disk space for my swap file on an already over-crowded disk.

I still think that perhaps providing abc printer drivers (abc2ps,
abc2hp etc.) would be a better solution. abc2ps might be reasonably
easy as PostScript versions of the pk fonts could be downloaded to
the printer.

I have wittered on long enough - somebody else have a go.

Take care,
Seamus Mac Conaonaigh