MN, were you thinking of Roy Foster's *Modern Ireland*?  It certainly is
very good indeed, but being a true work of Irish scholarship, most definitedly
(definitely) has a ground ax by its side.  I wish I had saved a very interesting
article on revisionist Irish history that appeared on Activ-L a few days ago.
The author argues that Foster and others have promoted a sort of neo-Unionist
(Parnellite) version of Irish history to the detriment of more openly
nationalist views.  I'll try to get a copy from Activ-L to forward to this
list . . . I'd like to hear what folks here would say to that article . . .

Michael McDonald