>     I recently came across a second-hand reference to a modern Irish term
> for the rising of the moon when it is low in the sky and barely rises
> above the mountains on the horizon.  This term "Duibhre/" may have ties to
> early Irish astronomical practice, as it is reflected in archaeoastronomical
> studies of structures oriented towards the place of moonrise, and in
> Irish latin technical terms for the changing appearance of the moon along
> the horizon (subincensio - mediaincensio - supraincensio).

>     Could anyone hazard a guess on the etymology / technical meaning of
> "Duibhre/".  Thanks in anticipation.

Possibly from "dubh" (meaning "black") and "re/" (meaning either "moon" or
"phase" [as in "phase of moon"]).

If so, then one _might_ conjecture that the moon was termed "black" when low in
the sky because it usually (at least here in Ireland!) looks much "fainter"
or "darker" and also much bigger. My knowledge of atmospherics doesn't run
to explaining why this is so, however!

Seamus.

|  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]                                       |
|   Snail: Seamus Mac Conaonaigh, U.C.G., Galway, Ireland.                  |
   "There is an knack, or rather an art, to flying ... it lies in throwing
    yourself at the ground and missing." - Douglas Adams.