On 1/07/2015 5:13 AM, Liz Gabay wrote:
>>> Bladma cen blath.
>>> Aine cen hol.
>>> Echtgi cen ag.
>>> Laigin hi ngair.
>>> Laigis os chach.
>>> Eli do meth.
>>> Eri cen maith.
>>> O sin himmach
>>> coti in brath.
>>>    Et reliqua.

> Bladma without bloom.
> Aine without drink.
> Echtgi without valor.
> Laigin crying.
> Laigis above all.
> Eli to decay.
> Eri without goodness
>  From then on out
> until Judgment Day.
> And the rest.

'et reliqua' often means no more than 'end of quotation' rather than
indicating that the quotation has necessarily been truncated. So it might
be best to leave the Latin as an unexpanded symbol (7rl-) and not translate
it at all, or translate it by putting it in parentheses: (etc.)

> 'gáir...shout, cry (of exaltation, grief,etc'.)  I could not find an example of 'i ngáir' in DIL or
> CELT. I found two examples of 'i ngair' (a different word without a fada) with the meanings
> 'in a short while' and 'close to'.

We might translate this line as 'Laigin in tumult' or 'Laigin in uproar'
(Cf DIL G 27.30). But you raise a good point about the preposition. We also
noted that the preposition 'co' in line 6 (Emain co húar) seemed odd, even
superfluous. I suspect that what we have is a poetical pattern overriding
normal linguistic patterns: namely that each line has to have four
syllables, and has to end in a monosyallble, and, more specifically, that
it has to have a preposition in the middle. You may recall that when we
looked at the prophesy 'Síth co Nem' at the end of Cath Maige Turied, the
poem had a preposition in the middle of each of the first ten lines (and in
21 of the next 26). So it seems to be a stylistic device.

> The Onomasticon lists 'Laigis' as 'Leix'.  In this context of dire predictions for many places in
> Ireland, 'ós chách' doesn't seem to make sense.  I wonder if the poem originally had a
> different word.  I could not explain the lenition on the first 'c' either.

This is a prophesy of doom; about the world gone mad. Only in a world gone
mad would the Loígis be elevated above the other kingdoms of Ireland. In
Ireland, some kingdoms were 'noble--only they could aspire to the
over-kingdom of their province. Other kingdoms were subordinate, often
paying tribute to the 'noble' kingdoms. The Loígis were a subordinate
people in Leinster. The fact that THEY have been picked out (over the
subordinate people throughout Ireland) suggests to me that the author of
our poem was from Leinster himself. Note that the first 7 lines named one
place from each of the major power-blocks in Ireland, but the next 7
concentrate more on the south of Ireland. Lines 8-11 deal only with the
most important power blocks Leinster, the Uí Néill, Munster and Connacht:
omitting Ulaid--the list i.e. the provinces run by the 'noble' Féne PLUS
Leinster, and Leinster is named first. Lines 12-14 stick to the southern
provinces, including Leinster twice more: once by name. (Of the 14 places
mention in the first 14 lines of the poem, only 4 are situated north of a
line drawn across the middle of Ireland: Ailech, Tara, Mag Line and Emain
Macha.)

> coti -- looks like Modern Irish 'go dtí' used with the article to mean moving 'to' in the sense
> of moving up to a place or thing.  Looks like preposition 'co' (to, until) plus maybe
> 'í..demonstratove particle'.

'Co tí' is the preposition 'co' (until) plus the 3sg subjunctive of
'do-icc' (comes). So 'until Judgement Day comes'.

Neil