On 28/06/2015 1:36 PM, Liz Gabay wrote:
>> atbert Bec bui immarcraid na noidin(e) moire aice do scelaib derid domain.
> ...Bec said there were too many big babies compared to him for stories ( at the) end of the
> world.

> bui - 3 singular preterite substantive verb. Used with oc (as in aice) this can indicate
> possession...'he had..'  but I could not make sense of that here.

You are on the right track. What 'he had' was an 'immarcraid do (= di)
scelaib derid domain' = 'a great amount of tidings of the end of the world'.

> immarcraid -- a substantive meaning 'excess, too many, surplus'.  The Modern Irish
> equivalent 'iomarca' is listed in Dinneen as 'iomarcaidh..addition, excess..sometimes
> preceded by the article..takes genitive after it'.The article doesn't usually come after it in
> Modern Irish,however.

And here 'na' is not the article but rather the Mid Ir form of the
comparative substantive verb: Old Irish oldaas/indaas (see DIL under
indaas) > indá > iná > DIL's 5. ná

So, Bec has a greater capacity for prophesying about the end of the world
than (comparative 'ná') a large infant (dative of comparison: 'noídin móir').

At some stage a scribe  thought that we had 'immarcraid' + the genitive
fem. article 'na' here, and added a genitive 'e' to both 'noídin' and
'moir'. And then someone sought to correct this mistake by erasing the 'e'
at the end of 'noidine' in our MS.

> I thought that 'na noidin moire' could be a genitive phrase here.
> DIL lists 'noídiu' as a n-stem feminine substantive with 'noídin' as a nominative plural. I
> expect the genitive plural form could be the same.

The (sg. gen. and) plural gen. would be noíden (with broad final -n). (See
GOI p 209.)

> 'derid' -- form of 'deired...end' , listed as O stem neuter, so I imagine 'derid' could be a
> genitive form 'for stories of the end of the world'

Yes, I think that's it.

>>> Conid and atbertsum --
> So that he then said --

Or just 'and he said'.