Dear Friends of DRI,

It's been busy at DRI, so it's time for an update to our friends:

News

Last week we previewed a Pilot version of our Repository to a small group of internal stakeholders, and a created a screencast to go along with it. To view the screencast, and for more information on technical and collection developments at the DRI, see: http://dri.ie/pilot-version-dri-repository-previewed.

Yesterday we launched MoTIF, a collaborative project with the National Library of Ireland. MoTIF includes best practice guidelines for constructing a thesaurus, as well as a pilot demonstration of a thesaurus for Irish folklore. Details and links to the Guidelines and Project Report by Catherine Ryan are available in the Press Release: http://dri.ie/press-release-motif-project-launched

If you are interested in a general overview of developments at the DRI in the last year, you can also view last week's presentation to the British and Irish Sound Archives, available at the DRI Slideshare account: http://www.slideshare.net/dri_ireland/natalie-harrower-new-developments-at-the-dri-presentation-to-bisa-2014

And in case you missed the launch of our big collaborative project Inspiring Ireland, you can get a good idea of its scope by viewing the exciting 3-minute video. Inspiring Ireland is about preserving, linking, and providing access to Ireland's cultural treasures: http://inspiring-ireland.ie/about

Events:

On June 27, 2014 we are co-organising a workshop with the Knowledge and Data Engineering Group at Trinity College Dublin on data-driven humanities research. The 1st International Workshop on Computational History has an exciting list of international speakers, and will take place 9am-5pm at the Royal Irish Academy (registration required): http://dri.ie/1st-international-workshop-computational-history

One of the speakers at the workshop, Dr. Ciara Breathnach, is a co-PI on the DRI collaborative project Irish Records Linkage, 1864-1913. You can read about the Project here: http://dri.ie/projects, and access a newly published article in Medical Humanities by Dr. Breathnach here: http://mh.bmj.com/content/40/1/11.full?keytype=ref&ijkey=Zx8FkcHMpW9No9s

The workshop will be preceded by a free public lecture entitled The Mathematics of Impending Social Implosion by Professor Peter Turchin. This lecture takes place at 6:00pm on Thursday June 26, 2014 at the Royal Irish Academy (no registration required): http://dri.ie/mathematics-impending-social-implosion

To keep up-to-date with DRI, please follow @dri_ireland on Twitter (https://twitter.com/dri_ireland) or follow our RSS feed: http://dri.ie/rss.xml

Thanks for reading!

--The DRI Team

_______

Dr. Natalie Harrower
Manager, Education & Outreach
Digital Repository of Ireland
Royal Irish Academy
19 Dawson St., Dublin 2
www.dri.ie
Twitter: @dri_ireland<https://twitter.com/dri_ireland>

www.ria.ie<http://www.ria.ie/>
The Royal Irish Academy/Acadamh Ríoga na hÉireann
Ireland's Academy for the sciences and humanities

The Royal Irish Academy is subject to the Freedom of Information Acts 1997 & 2003 and is compliant with the provisions of the Data Protection Acts 1988 & 2003. For further information see our website www.ria.ie