Dear Javier,

Thanks for the heads-up about Mr. Pentland’s book.  It only came out January 31st.  It has attracted mentions in The Economist and Wall Street Journal, among others.

His book, like every PhD thesis, is supposed to add to the body of human knowledge -- however unlikely such an event turns out to be truly original or pathbreaking.

A corollary of the quest for putative originality is this.  To disguise one’s true lack of originality, great care must be taken to coin new terms that can’t be traced easily to old discoveries made by other people.

In derogation of our favorite field (Beerian Management Cybernetics), such academic obfuscation has succeeded several times there at Mr. Pentland’s home base, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  It succeeded with Norbert Wiener (cybernetics) and with Jay Forrester (system dynamics).

Pentland’s phrase social physics had to be coined (I subversively suggest) because Ross Ashby beat him to the definition of cybernetics as political physics.  (This reminds me that George Otto Trevelyan defined social history as history with the politics left out.)

Mr. Pentland is presumed to desire placing his fingerprints on as much academic credit as he can get his hands on.  He would like as much recognition and admiration for his sleight of hand as can be garnered.

Therefore he would not wish to encounter a bunch of iconoclasts bent on setting him straight, or diminishing his putative originality.

In other words, we management cyberneticians ought not try to pop his inflated balloon.  Instead let’s try to start just a slow leak.  Here’s how.

In 2011 you were elected Vice President for Membership by the American Society for Cybernetics (ASC).  In that capacity why don’t you (along with Stuart Umpleby and Allenna Leonard) write him, and invite him to make a presentation (suggested title "What’s New About Social Physics").

Pump him up!  Invite him specifically to represent M.I.T. at the 50th Anniversary of the organization whose name was coined by that matchless M.I.T. figure, the late Norbert Wiener.

Point out that the International Society for the Systems Sciences will be holding forth at The George Washington University Graduate School of Business July 27 -August 1, to be followed immediately at the identical venue August 3-9 by the American Society for Cybernetics.  These should be great and multiple opportunities for him to enlist new adherents under the social physics banner.

Allenna Leonard is a past president of both organizations.  Perhaps she could join you in issuing the invitation for Pentland to present what’s new about social physics?

I for one would very much like to hear how he thinks his work offers a new slant on what ISSS and ASC members concern themselves with.  In particular, how does he propose for social physics to be modeled?