The final section of the sayings of Flann Fína in Colin Ireland's book
_Old Irish Wisdom Attributed to Aldfrith of Northumbria_ (1999) is a
piece in praise of learning which begins "Maith dán ecnae."  The third
line says:

Do·gní ánṡruth di esirt.
It makes an accomplished person of a landless one.

I happened on a truncated version of this piece the other day in MS
G10, lch 46 (NLI).  In this version "esirt" is paired and contrasted
with "coairt", which is rather nice.  Since (a) neither word has
survived into Modern Irish, and (b) the etymology for them in Sanas
Cormaic is nearly spot on, I devoted a blog posting to these matters:

http://nimill.blogspot.com/2012/02/eagna-coairt-eiseart.html

Dennis