On 11 Jan 2012 at 17:03, Marion Gunn wrote:

> Possible. Of course, I grew up with the understanding that the names
> "Setanta" and "Séadna" were theoretically identical, but, to us, as
> denizens of Ireland, different linguistic entities capable of mutual
> existence.

Now I may betray my utter ignorance, but it never occurred to me
before that those two names would - or could - be related, let alone
identical. Unless some irregular changes occurred I can't see how one
can arrive at "Séadna" from "Setantae". I recall that we discussed
the question of the length of the first syllable of "Setantae" before
on this list. If "Séadna" should indeed be its modern descendant,
this would point to a long é.

David