Liz Gabay wrote:

>> 35.

>> Ōn laithe sin a nGlend Gercc
>> nī raibhe ag rīg dar derg cnedh
>> muinnter mar muintir mo rīg
>> Taidg ūi Cheallaigh re snīomh slegh.

> I prefer "any king who ever reddened a wound" or "any king who ever
> bloodied a wound".

And I'll vote for "(any) king whose wound was red" (i.e. any king who
had the bravery to sustain wounds in battle).

>> Taidg ūi Cheallaigh re snīomh slegh
>
> 're' is probably a form of 'fri' or 'la' here, as in previous verses
> of this poem.
> Use of the word 'sním' with weapons in Bardic verse is discussed at
> DIL S
> 303.61.  The sense is "twisting or wrenching (perhaps twirling or
> brandishing)
> weapons, hence fighting, doing battle".  They quote our text but don't
> translate it.

Perhaps I'm being swayed by a Scottish Gaelic usage which may or may
not be deeply rooted in the language, but I'd read "re sníomh slegh"
as equivalent to ScG "ri snìomh sleagh(an) = at (the) twisting of
spears = engaged in twisting / brandishing spears".

Dennis