I'm inclined to agree with you, Paul. Using "do" in constructions as an
alternate way of forming tenses isn't the same as a verb combination. It's
a straightforward auxiliary as occurs in English, French etc etc...

As to whether the widespread use of 'ren mee goll' counts as language
death, this isn't impossible. On the other hand, it may be that teachers
find it easier to introduce the past tense using the auxiliaries. My
immediate thought is that it is closer to English (and thus simpler),
certainly in the negative.

Juaney