Richard wrote:
>As an example, here is the end of the description of  the
>hag: "lethantrosdán lomdeilecha lúbméracha laobgloithnecha
>lebarsálgorma liathgormingnecha ladharbrénfliucha lanntrusgacha."

Thanks Richard for that extraordinary piece of verbosity!   As noone has
risen to their feet for August, may I ask a question?  What is it about
Irish (and to an extent English too in comparison to other languages)
that it has so many descriptors (adjectives, adverbs)?  and what does it
say about the Irish psyche that they delight in using them?

And, I'm not sure if this is a related question or not, but why does
modern Irish (and English again) delight in reducing verbs down to a
handful of common verbs in idiomatic or phrasal form?  I'm beginning to
think that if Irish could get away with expressing every verb using 'cur'
within some expression, then that's what it would do!   This tendency in
both Irish and English certainly makes them a lot harder for adult
learners to come to grips with.  I remember one day (when I was much
younger) we were counting the different verbal meanings of 'come'
expressions and we stopped in exhaustion when we were over 600.
But, I suspect Irish 'cur' could outdo that any day :--)

Helen