lenore fischer  wrote:

>> 36.  A ndaingen nochar an sē,
>>
>> glūasis co cloinn Nēill da deōin,
>>
>> cēim troighed ag dul re hard
>>
>> beiris Tadg a gconne an tslōg.

>*beiris* – this seems to be a form of the verb *berid*, carry, and again,
>all I can figure  out is that this might be a relative again.

Hi Lenore,
   I worked on the last two lines.  I'm not clear on the context.  Is Tadg the
loser? A summary of the translation so far would be really helpful.

DIL  B 56.53 lists 'beiris' as a 'later form' 3rd singular preterite of 'beirid'.

céim looks like nominative singular;  troighed  is a genitive singular form.  'troig'
could be either the human foot itself, or a length of measure a foot long.  I
suspect 'céim' might be the subject of 'beiris' with the usual word order
reversed for poetic reasons.

   I suspect 're' is a stand in for 'ar' or 'fri' as in other parts of the poem.  I
found in DIL A182.53 "beirid ar aird, brings forward, displays".  I looked
for 'téigh ar áird' and I didn't find it.  But in Dinneen, I found  "ar áird, in
evidence, displayed, brought to light, beirim ar áird, I bring forward."
Perhaps 'ag dul re hard' means going conspicuously out before the troops,
making a display of himself.

   Adjusting your translation a bit, the best I can do is  --

He didn't continue to defend himself
he went with Néill's people willingly
[the] step of a foot going forward
brought Tadg to meet the army.

  Comments and corrections welcome.    Liz