 Marion Gunn  wrote:

> Given that it is unlikely that Tadhg clocked up a headcount of either two
> thousand and ten men or three thousand men killed one by one by him with his
> own personal sword,
>

> But Marion, heroic literature is full of just such stuff.  I was reading
aloud 'The Chase of Sid na mBan Finn' to my invalid yesterday (preserved,
incidentally, in the very same manuscript of Micheal O Clerigh's as this one
we are working on).  Laeghaire 'makes a breach of a hundred in the battle
right in front of him ... he plied his wrath ... so that one hundred
warriors ... fell by him. ... Then came one hundred flaming full-keen
warriors of Fer-li's people against him in the battle, and they all fell by
Laeghaire's hand before the eyes of their lord' and so on.  Laeghaire isn't
killed until he has fulfilled his predicted quota of 300 slain by his own
sword.
And where do you get your thousands from?  Surely this is:
ten men and one hundred and twenty
No?
Lenore