Joe,

I totally go along with what you say about individuals acting as filters for the otherwise mass of variety that overwhelms. Indeed, that surely is what social living if about. Get back for a moment to that thread on 'deceit' and 'transparency'...............Surely, Joe, it would be more accurate to describe what you described in terms of 'filters' than in terms of 'deceit'. In other words, one might say that 'acting as a filter' for various views  is 'deceit' or one might say it is (simply) acting as a filter......

I suppose I was just bewildered at the easy adoption of the CONCEPT of deceit in the context we were.

To return to a passing comment Luc made recently - indeed, this is where a Paskian shared white-space might be invaluable!

Roger

PS Joe, am starting to try and be a bit more active on my Facebook - have included a couple of photos from my new house that you might find of interest. It's about two miles from the one you visited, with a completely different vista. The thing it lacks is the attic that you and Chris attacked to after our intense sessions!

Roger