Javier,

There's a duplication in 2 (to do with memory).

You cover a lot of ground, Javier, and there are some nuggets.

As a mode of communication to stimulate ongoing curiousity it's a great model.

From the 'cybernetic' point of view, I have some queries (but these don't negate the positive feelings above).

Javier, I'm not sure it's right to say that neurons or the brain are 'compulsive model builders'.  In my understanding, it's better to grasp the nettle that - in terms of information - the brain can only construct models (hence 'organisational closure'). If we discount the hypothesis that the brain is an input/output device dealing with representation and symbolic manipulation, then what we are left with is the endless cycling, composition and decomposition of models. And, indeed, you do refer to this. So, our bench marks are 'models' of chairness (in a platonic sense), rather than particular instances of a chair. And the particular instance we 'bump into' in the course of our interactions, becomes associated or not to such 'benchmarks' (the essence of Maturana's distinction between 'organisation' and 'structure'.

A second niggle (though I am not saying this detracts from the story you tell) is granting an individual neuron an 'identity'. An individual neuron is a switch which fires or does not fire. It is the architecture that transforms this mundanity into the miraculous.

Identity emerges with a very much higher level of recursion of a S5, as I'm sure you agree.  But the language you use (which, indeed, is very child friendly), suggests each neuron is a tiny personality instead of a dumb switch. The miracle we seek to explain or suggest, is how the behavioural level miraculous emerges from the dumb interactions at the neuronal level.

Or have I got this wrong?

But, a mammoth effort, Javier,

Roger