On 24 Mar 2010, at 09:08, Joseph Truss wrote:

> I agree gentle Roger that this mode of interaction is very creative
> and I like the added advantage of having it in written word that is
> archived and can be revisited.  In this sense it can be more useful
> to the community than an actual face to face dialogue even with the
> 7% transduction limitation due to the absence of tone and tempo
> embodied cues.  It also means one can catch up later and reintroduce
> a thread that went by too quickly.
>
> Your statement that none of your insights come from meditation begs
> explanation - do you mean that while meditating you are not
> 'thinking' and so receive no insights, or that the process of
> meditation as a practice does not provide you with insight? It seems
> to me that in terms of autopoiesis, meditation is like hallucination
> and cannot be differentiated from externally received perception or
> information triggered by interaction with another.  I get that
> through our interactions, we learn, but surely as we are
> informationally closed insights ultimately come from within, or am I
> off down another rabbit hole?

Joe, I think this is precisely the point. As in the Maturana case
(perception versus hallucination), the external referent (or third
paryu) is essentialy for the organism (as an observer) to discover
whether s/he has perceived or hallucinated. THe whole point of
'organisational closure' (for me) is not that it is 'closed off' (or
solipsist) but that it indiciates the necessity for etending the
mechanism of recurrent coordinations of actions outside the sensory/
motor loop. In other words, by including (as the obsesver) the
external into the motor/sensory 'gap' (as Maturana once put it).

To recall the 70% example (input into the visual center from external
rather than internal sources). The lesson is not that there are no
external sources and that we should concentrate on internality, but
that our understanding of those externalities take place within the
perturbations of the internal.

Does that make sense???

Roger

> In regards to your performance comments, is the use of metaphor
> different from the use of magic in allowing us to share
> understanding or knowledge consciously? Do we learn from metaphor?

Joe, perhaps I meant something simpler here? I know from time and time
again (and believe this knowledge will be shared by anyone who asks
themselves the question), that the 'insight' and 'enthusiasm' to a
monologue (or a performance) does not indicate transmission of
knowledge. We 'suspend disbelief' and may go on to do great things -
we clap, cheer, feel our pulses racing.....we come out and celebrate
or burn manuscripts or storm churches and burn those sheltering
within. We do all sorts of things - I am just saying that these
consequent actions are not usually to do with a change in our
knowledge - but rather to do with a change in our focus. That's what a
great performance does.

Knowledge attempts to braid into this enthusiasm, something more
reflective (as, I imagine we agree, in the example of a syntegration).