If we stay with this line of giving appropriate survival information to
a network of community and grassroots networks which I think is right,
then as long as the organized knowledge is good, there might be some
future role that cyberneticians in metaphorum could help with.  But this
caution about official advice is well founded. Most of us think that the
ebst way of saving ourselves is to get beneath something solid..however
the note below re the triangle of life from a rescuer gives pause for
thought:

Steve

This may save your life one day

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: 'TRIANGLE OF LIFE'

       My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager
of
the American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most
experienced
rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an
earthquake.

       I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue
teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and
I am
a member of many rescue teams from many countries.

       I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two
years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985,
except
for simultaneous disasters.

       The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in
Mexico
City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every
child
was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by
lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene,
unnecessary
and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the
time
know that the children were told to hide under something.

       Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the
ceilings
falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects,
leaving
a space or void next to them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of
life'.  The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact.
The
less the object compacts; the larger the void; the greater the
probability
that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured.

       The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count
the 'triangles' you see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most
common
shape, you will see, in a collapsed building.

       TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

       1) Most everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' WHEN BUILDINGS
COLLAPSE are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks
or
cars, are crushed.

       2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal
position.  You should too in an earthquake. It is a natural
safety/survival
instinct.  You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object,
next to
a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but
leave a
void next to it.

       3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in
during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the
earthquake.  If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids
are
created.  Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing
weight.
Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause
many
injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

       4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs,
simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels
can
achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a
sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down
on
the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

       5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by
getting
out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position
next
to a sofa, or large chair.

       6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse
is
killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward
or
backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls
sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you
will be
killed!

       7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different 'moment of
frequency' (they swing separately from the main part of the building).
The
stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other
until
structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on
stairs
before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly
mutilated.
Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The
stairs
are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are
not
collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by
fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the
rest
of the building is not damaged.

       8) Get near the outer walls of buildings or outside of them if
possible. It is much better to be near the outside of the building
rather
than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter
of
the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be
blocked.

       9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road
above
falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what
happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The
victims
of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles.
They
were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and
sitting
or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if
they
had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All
the
crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars
that
had columns fall directly across them.

       10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper
offices and other offices with a lot of paper that paper does not
compact.
Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

       Spread the word and save someone's life... The Entire world is
experiencing natural calamities so be prepared!

       'We are but angels with one wing, it takes two to fly'

       In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to
be
correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul, University of
Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical,
scientific test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins
inside.
Ten mannequins did 'duck and cover,' and ten mannequins I used in my
'triangle of life' survival method. After the simulated earthquake
collapse
we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and
document
the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under
directly observable, scientific conditions, relevant to building
collapse,
showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck
and
cover.

       There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people
using my method of the 'triangle of life.' This film has been seen by
millions of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe, and
it
was seen in the USA, Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV.

 _____

 <http://sig.graphicsfactory.com/>

 <http://sig.graphicsfactory.com/> Glitter Graphics