Hi all.
This stirs me to at last offer my contribution to the Metaphorum, after long silence, because apart from Stafford's connection to Chile, as many Metaphorum members know, my good friend Manfred Max-Neef is also Chilean.  He lives in Valdivia, which is very much in the heart of where the destruction is.

Enrique, do you know Manfred perhaps?  You will surely know about him, for having contested the 1993 Presidential elections to try to infuse some sense of reality into the discourse.  Strangely neither Stafford nor Manfred were aware of each other's work, leaving me in the extraordinary role of trying to connect them.  Sadly Stafford passed on before my ambition to get them together in the same room was realised.

He called me two days ago to reassure me that he and his family were fine, and asked me to put word to all our mutual friends, some of whom intersect with the Metaphorum network.  I couldnt resist adding some commentary, because of the serendipitous coincidence that I discovered.   Charles Darwin, experienced an earthquake in Valdivia as well, which he reflects upon during his Voyage of the Beagle.

I reproduce my message to that network below.   I dont know if Stafford ever visited Valdivia, during his time in Chile, or whether he ever reflected on the geo-physical systems that collide along the Chilean coastline, but my closing comment could equally include Stafford, together with Darwin and Manfred Max-Neef, as rare geniuses shaped by the tumultuous political, geo-physical environment of Chile.

On a more serious note, I heard on Aljazeera TV last night (after sending out the message) that the Chilean Navy has acknowledged it made a big mistake in cancelling the Tsunami warning.  The spokesperson tried valiantly to give a coherent explanation, but I couldnt help thinking that the ensuing deaths from the tsunami that was 'officially' not supposed to have occurred would have been avoided if Stafford's contribution had been more deeply entrenched in Chile's governance systems.

Enrique, I would value your thoughts on that, besides any other thoughts.  Chile is very close to my heart.

 Hi friends and friends of Manfred.
We recently had a call from Manfred Max-Neef, phoning from Valdivia to Johannesburg to reassure his friends with whom I have contact in South Africa and elsewhere who may be concerned about his well-being due to the earth quake, aftershock and Tsunami that has struck Chile.

“We are dependent on telephone and word of mouth, because the internet based communications have been disrupted” he told us.

He asked me to put the word out to his many friends around the world that he and his family and are so far well.  But there is much suffering and hardship.

Chile has experienced several very large earthquakes over recorded history.  The most severe earthquake in the 20th Century happened in 1960 which devastated the city of Valdivia.   When I visited Manfred in Valdivia in 1996 there was still evidence of the impact of that earthquake.

CNN is reporting tonight that the death toll would have been higher had residents followed the official urgings of government officials for people to return to their homes, because the region continues to experience large aftershocks.

One woman interviewed said “We followed the guidance of our parents and grandparents instead, who experienced earthquakes before.  If we had done what the government had told us we would have been dead.”

I cant resist commenting that this reliance on indigenous understanding passed on at the ‘human scale’ rather than the abstract knowledge passed down the line of government officials is of course exactly what Manfred has sought to encourage.

Taking the advice of that resilient survivor filmed by CNN, I have been re-reading the reflections of that ‘Great great grandparent’ of evolutionary theory Charles Darwin.

Ironically I discovered that in 1835, Charles Darwin experienced an earthquake while ashore in Valdivia during his historic Voyage of the Beagle.

I was fascinated by Darwin’s account of his direct experience in Valdivia.

February 20th 1835.  – This day has been memorable in the annals of Valdivia, for the most severe earthquake experienced by the oldest inhabitant.  I happened to be on shore, and was lying down in the wood to rest myself.  It came on suddenly and lasted two minutes...

(I have a photo of Manfred from my visit with satisfying his need for idleness after lunch, in much the same posture as Charles Darwin).

Further into the chapter Darwin reports on the scenes of devastation cum fascination that he and Captain Fitzroy encountered when sailing further to the towns of Conception and Talcahouna, again hard hit by the latest earthquake.

“Both towns presented the most awful yet interesting spectacle I ever beheld.... for the ruins were so mingled together, and the whole scene possessed so little the air of a habitable place, that is was scarcely possible to imagine its former condition.”

And then, later, a comment on the less savoury responses to such misfortune shown by some members of our human species.

“Those who had saved any property were obliged to keep a constant watch, for thieves prowled about, and at each little trembling of the ground, with one hand they beat their breasts and cried ‘misericordia’ and then with the other filched what they could from the ruins”

The CNN report of widespread looting suggests that in 2010 the human species has still got a lot more evolving to do.

But to end on a hopeful note.

The fact that I have had the privilege to know as a friend a man whom I regard as every bit an intellectual genius as Darwin, and who has also contributed I believe, to further understanding the evolutionary path of the human species, leaves me pondering that there must be something about the particular geography and geology of Chile that, as much as it is prone to earthquakes favours the evolution of geniuses like Darwin and Manfred Max-Neef.

This is how Darwin reflected upon his experience in 1837.

 .... A bad earthquake at once destroys our oldest associations: the earth, the very emblem of solidity, has moved beneath our feet like a thin crust over a fluid; -- one second of time has created in the mind a strange idea of insecurity, which hours of reflection would not have produced. In the forest, as a breeze moved the trees, I felt only the earth tremble, but saw no other effect.”

I will leave Manfred to add his own reflections of his current experience when communication lines are up again.

Warm regards

John

John G I Clarke
Consultant Social Worker, Development Facilitator, Writer.
Blairgowrie, Johannesburg.
Tel:  + 27 83 608 0944:    Fax 0866842405
Email:
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Post: P.O.Box 2408, Pinegowrie, 2123
Skype: john.gerard.ingram.clarke
Connecting People.... Managing Ideas.....Choosing Life