*From:* Paulina-Downey (Santiago) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
*Sent:* Friday, 5 March 2010 11:48 PM
*To:* Austrade Users; TradeStart Export Advisers
*Subject:* Chile devastated

Dear colleagues,

I hope it is ok to copy you all but I wanted to reach as many people as
possible.
The 8.8 earthquake in Chile last weekend has greatly impacted the whole
country. I know you have all probably seen footage and pictures of some of
the scenes that have been going around and have an idea of the level of
devastation.

It is terrible. Complete towns have been wiped out. People have lost
families, homes and their source of income.

In the last election the elected President sold us the idea that we would
work to become a developed economy in the next 10 years. We would do
everything needed to jump from a per capita income (ppp) of US$14,000 to
US$24,000. We were all traped by the idea.

However that will now have to wait and we will need to spend the next 4
years reconstructing the country. It is very tough to come to terms with the
fact that you must postpone this great dream due to a situation that is
completely out of your control.

Chile is country that is used to earthquakes. Every 20 years we loose a
major town or city. From the moment we are born we know that in our lifetime
*we will for sure* experience and earthquake.

However the extension this has taken is something we had not experienced
before. The territory affected encloses 80% of the population of Chile.

45% of  industrial capacity has been affected from medium to severely as
reported by industry. Highways and bridges, which are crucial to our
connectivity have been damaged. The first couple of days we were having
trouble feeding some of the most affected towns because we couldnīt reach
them.

We are a modest country and although very disciplined in the management of
its finances, we donīt have great resources. Fortunately, this events caught
us with savings and very little debt.

We, Austrade staff are greatly affected. Fortunately all of us and our
families are ok. We did not loose our homes. But our personal logistics have
been affected because people around us, highways, basic services and schools
are all affected. The amount of sad stories that each of us has been touched
by are countless. Aside from watching a million more on TV and radio
everyday. Hardworking people have lost everything and as a people we cannot
leave them on their own.

The whole country has been organizing since day one in several aid crusades.
First, to get food and water to the people whose towns were wiped out by the
Tsunamies. The government has been doing part of this but initiatives by
groups of people have been working on this as well, including our kids
schools, groups of friends etc.

Second, to get medical aid to them. Fortunately other countries have send us
emergency hospitals, together with doctors, to replace the hospital capacity
of 9 hospitals that are on the floor and 10 others that were left only
partially operational. Also the meds schools in the country have sent this
morning 200 of their students in the last two years of med school to assist
in any way possible, and to replace medical personnel who has been working
not stop from day one.

And tonight a 24 hour Telethon called "Chile helps Chile" (Chile ayuda a
Chile) will start at 10pm local time, which will be broadcasted by all the
local TV stations and radios. The idea is to raise money to build 30,000
emergency homes to provide some shelter to the families that have been left
homeless, while permanent housing is build. We need to raise AUD$32million.

If any of you want to help, here is the web page with the details for making
donations to the organization leading the emergency homes initiative
together with the government.
*http://www.untechoparachile.cl/?page_id=999*<http://www.untechoparachile.cl/?page_id=999>

Austrade Santiago will be extremely grateful if you can help. It doesnīt
matter how little or how big. It all adds up and we can build the homes
needed for the people left without shelter. Fall is about to start and the
main area in which the greater number of homeless people are is cold in
winter and it will begin raining in about one month. We have a bit of time
but we need to move now.

Thanks all for your attention and best wishes to everyone.

*Paulina Downey*
*Senior Business Development Manager *
*Australian Trade Commission (AUSTRADE) Santiago*
*Isidora Goyenechea 3621, Of. 902,  Las Condes.*
*Tel. (56-2) 733 4737*  *Fax (56-2) 3315074*

---end of message---