From: russell_c <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, March 2, 2010 7:24:59 AM
Subject: Seeing Red - Perception, sensation and consciousness

An interesting study into the nature of consciousness and sensation ... including mirror neurons (and his 'paining' and 'salting' processes sound very close to Maturnan's languaging).

Seeing Red - Perception, sensation and consciousness

You are in a darkened lecture hall looking at a patch of red projected onto a screen in front of you. What's involved in "seeing red"? This week, we meet the philosopher and psychologist Nicholas Humphrey who uses the phenomenon of seeing red as way into the mystery of consciousness.

Nicholas Humphrey
Emeritus Professor
(formerly) Centre for Philosophy and Natural Sciences
London School of Economics
United Kingdom

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/philosopherszone/stories/2010/2827676.htm

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ For more information go to: www.metaphorum.org For the Metaphorum Collaborative Working Environment (MCWE) go to: www.platformforchange.org METAPHORUM eList Archive available at - https://listserv.heanet.ie/ucd-staffordbeer.html Archive of CYBCOM eList available at - http://hermes.circ.gwu.edu/archives/cybcom.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~