Hi all,
years ago (in about 2001), I encountered this issue at the University
of Hamburg in Germany, where there was fierce student resistance
against the introduction of such a smart-card system. Their students'
union drew up scenarios where students would be blocked from entering
lecture halls or getting food on campus because they had library fines
or because they forgot their card at home...
Maybe the debate - and the smart-cards - have moved on since then, and
I don't know whether such a system was ever introduced in Hamburg. But
I thought it might be useful to draw attention to this controversial
aspect of the product.
Best wishes,
Christoph

Dr. Christoph Schmidt-Supprian