From: HEAnet User Group for Librarians - Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dave Murphy
Sent: 10 December 2009 16:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Noise and mobile phones

During library orientation sessions we emphasize the need for silence and how important it is.  If there is a lot of noise a library staff member will make an announcement that the noise level is too high.  In terms of cell phone, again the library insists that phones be placed on ‘silent’  If a student is found to be using his/her phone in the library, they are fined €3.

There is always going to be some noise in any library.  You will see students rushing to the exit, phone-in-hand.  It just depends what your tolerance level is.  On occasion, I’ve gone to the students’ union officers to enlist their help.

Dave Murphy

Carlow College