Frank’s question continues to occupy my mind too. Stafford seems to provide a kind of answer at the end of Heart after describing a seven year process of cybernetic interventions with a major client:

‘Call this a case study?’ (I hear an HBS graduate say)

‘there is no proven outcome.’

Yes: I call it a case study – and just because of that.

Life is a process, not a justification.

The usual question “what action led to what benefit?” is based I think on a belief in linear cause and effect. Looking through such a causal lens, Stafford’s “conclusion” above looks like a poor excuse.

Metaphorum outcomes for me are about transforming and deepening my own ways of seeing the world. The impact on my professional life is (so far) rather subtle and indirect.

Roger D