> ro-adair dia felius
> a lis cian ciarb(o) olc in turus
> a lot ina leigius
>
> Lec (221 v col a)
> Cormac iar coraib cen chuibdius
> ro-adair dia fheilius
> a lis cian ciarb’ olc in turas
> a lot ina leiges
>

>> 'ro adair' looks like a form of "adraid ..adheres to, follows,
>> respects" and is followed by 'di''.
>
> Yep, that's what I am using too.

But the sense is so awkward that I have had to abandon it. Instead I am
suggesting we have the s3 perfect of 'ad-gair' ('prosecutes, obtains,
forces onto someone'). Cf the later form (with 'do' for 'ro') at DIL
56.50-51 'do-agair'.

>>  'feles' translates "vanity, futility, uselessness" and also refers to
>> a line of four syllables in poetry.   I thought the word might have
>> been changed to 'felius' just to make it rhyme in the poem.
>
> I am currently going with 'fíalus' u&o,m ‘consanguinity, kinship;
> kindred, family'.

But 'fíalus' would give a woeful rhyme with 'leges'. The initial vowel
is all wrong. So I went to the bottom of the barrel, and did a bit of
scraping, and came up with 'felbhas' (see DIL under 'felmas'), which is
'sorcery, a charm'. Treating the preposition 'di' as indicating the
'tool or instrument by means of which something is done' (DIL D
150.55f), I got:

ro-adair dia fhel[b]ius
'He obtained by his sorcery'

But the glide vowel 'i' is wrong here, which is a shame given that it is
necessary for the rhyme. Perhaps it could be a scribe's response to a
metrical imperfection. But all up it is quite a stretch.

So that brought me back to Liz's initial suggestion, which fits the MSS
much better ('fe(i)lius' is fine as a spelling of 'feles', just as the
MSS have both 'leges' and 'leigius' for the rhyming word).  If we allow
the verb to be 'ad-gair', we could go with 'feles' in the sense 'vanity'
and take the preposition 'di' to be indicating the 'reason or motive'
(DIL 153.29):

'He obtained, on account of his vanity'.

So, he is my revised translation:

"Cormac after [= having extracted] a treaty without concord
Obtained, on account of his vanity,
in a distant dwelling, though the deed was evil,
his [Tadg’s] wounding in his healing."

So, after the battle Cormac imposed terms on the Ulstermen, or more
likely on Tadg, which were not exactly accommodating, and then as Tadg
tried to recover from his wounds in a distant dwelling, Cormac had
foreign objects put into his cuts, thereby achieving his 'wounding in
his healing'.

As far as the 'distant dwelling' is concerned, we saw in §22 of the
prose account that Tadg went to Sligo to recover from his wounds.

Neil