David Stifter wrote:
> Neil McLeod wrote:
>I note that 'gléo' can mean 'strife, trouble' as
>> well as 'combat'. I wounder whether the 'trouble, tribulation' here
>> might be 'suffering?

> No, "gléo" just means "confliuct between two (or more) parties", of
> which "battle" is the most conspicuous, but of which more harmlessly-
> sounding "strife" or "trouble" can also be a variant. Remember the
> "troubles" in Northern Ireland which were a euphemism for war.

Quite right. I paid insufficient attention to the fact that the DIL
entries I was relying on were cpds, and didn't stray far from 'conflict'
anyway. The meaning does extend to 'noise, tumult' in the later period,
but goes nowhere near 'tribulation'. Never mind - there is more
potential wounding in a stanza or so.

Neil